Sofia City Art Gallery


Address: Sofia, 1 Gurko Str.
Working time: вт-сб 10:00–19:00, нд 11:00–18:00
Phone: 02 981 26 06
On October 22nd, 1828 the Mayor of the capital city, general Vladimir Vazov, orders the formation of a new cultural institution: a library, archives and a museum. A part of the museum is the Art Gallery. The library and the museum are located in a building, which no longer exists. In 1941 all three departments are moved to 3 Banski Sq. and there the first permanent Art Gallery in Bulgaria is opened. In 1948 the collection is divided and part of it is moved to the National Art Gallery. Since 1952 Sofia City Art Gallery is an independent institution. In 1973 the gallery is moved to its current building, which has previously been the city casino and later - an exhibition hall of the union of Bulgarian Artists, where the most important cultural events take place, especially in the 1960s. Today the Sofia City Art Gallery is very active in showing works from its fund, organizing exhibitions of Bulgarian and international artists. The gallery now owns 3 170 paintings, 2 711 art prints, drawings and caricatures, and 675 sculptures.
Programme

 

Top Comments (0)

In order to post comments, please register and log in using your username and password.